06 December, 2011

Underground and rail


My journey to the east and back usually involves also a ride through the Budapest underground, the dim underbelly of this cultural, political and commercial capital. Known for its vintage appearance, the entire underground has a certain retro charm to it, that will under the right circumstances quickly creep into an eerie blend of solitude, silence and darkness, provoking sensations of uneasiness, even dread.

Descending into this popular and fast method of commuting in a city of almost two millions, I would expect to run into swarming masses of rushing fellow metro users any time of day, but in my experience, things are like this only during the rush hours. I found myself often completely alone, waiting for the train at the quiet, desolate station, devoid of any motion and sound, except for the faint howling of the artificially induced draft. Many old trains are still in use, exhibiting wonderful decaying textures and classy interior design, a joy for photographers. 

I hope to cross this part of the journey some day in the future without having an uncomfortable backpack on my shoulders and hauling heavy luggage behind me.

Tomaž



Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment